Veterans Benefits

AUC students can only use The Post-9/11 GI-Bill CHAPTER 33, Title 38 U.S.C to pay for a degree-seeking program of study, i.e. a BA or MA or the PhD degree. You cannot use the GI- Bill to pay for an Arabic Language Instruction certificate or a diploma-granting program. 

AUC Programs Approved by the Veteran Affairs

PhD  Construction Engineering
PhD  Environmental Engineering
MA   Egyptology and Coptology
MA   Political Science
MA   International Comparative Law - LLM
BA    English and Comparative Literature
BA    Political Science
BA    Accounting

Veterans Affairs (VA) will pay your tuition and fees but no more than their annual limit Up to $25,6162.14  (August 1, 2020 - July 31, 2021). Tuition and fee payment will be received by AUC on your behalf.

Veteran Affairs Certification Process at AUC

  • You must be accepted to a program of study leading to a degree and have confirmed your enrollment.
  • Within a few business days, you should get an email informing you that we have received your certification and to please give us a few days to process your request.
  • If you are admitted to a program that has not been previously approved, an AUC certifying official will send a request for approval of that program to the VA for you.
  • Upon receipt of the VA’s approval of the program, your benefits are certified on the VA-Once by AUC certifying official providing details about your enrollment per semester. It can take up to six weeks for the VA to process the certification.
  • We will also inform AUC Student Accounts to provide VA deferment/protection on your account and your courses should not be deleted unless you have an outstanding balance from a previous term.



Chapter 33
Post 9/11 GI Bill

First Time 
Using Benefits and
Transfer Students

Submit to AUC:

  • C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)
    • Obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551
  • DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
    • Issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation or discharge from active-duty military.
  • Your full name
  • Social Security number
  • AUC student ID number 
  • Your permanent address and address in Cairo
  • Copy of your admissions acceptance letter showing the program that you are admitted to.
  • Term request for certification (Fall or Spring semester)
  • Number of credits you are planning to register for during the fall and spring semester of the academic year in question


Who is Eligible?

  • You may be eligible if you have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001; or
  • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.

Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, maybe eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.

Period of Eligibility

  • You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement.
  • You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

Important Information

  • Veterans/Dependents must certify ONLINE EVERY semester they choose to use their benefits. You must be enrolled in classes and have a schedule finalized beforehand.
  • The VA will only certify programs that AUC has listed in their system.
  • In order to maintain full-time status (12 CR HRS in Fall/Spring for undergraduate students and 9 CR HRS in Fall/Spring for graduate students), you must maintain full-time credit requirements throughout each term.
  • Maintain a cumulative GPA above 2.0 and per term to prevent suspension of benefits.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for my Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits?

Your chapter will determine which forms you will need to complete through VONAPP

  • Complete VA Form 22-1990 form to apply for educational assistance under the following benefit program- Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill 

How do I transfer my benefits to AUC?

  • If you are a Veteran or Service Member, complete VA Form 22-1995 through VONAPP
  • If you are a Dependent of a Veteran or Service Member, complete VA Form 22-5495, through VONAPP

Can I Transfer My Entitlement To My Dependents?

You must be a member of the uniformed services to transfer your unused benefits to your spouse or dependent(s). Generally, you must agree to serve four more years when transferring benefits.

How may I contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs?

How do I get my money?

After you have been certified by an AUC Certifying Official and have received a Certificate of Eligibility for your benefits,

  • The Department of Veterans Affairs will deposit your approved funds directly into the AUC bank account
  • AUC Student Accounts will notify you and apply the funds to your account

How long does it take to get paid?

Once AUC submits your enrollment certification, it must be processed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA is generally overwhelmed with certifications at the start of each semester. It can take up to six weeks to process an enrollment at this time. Your patience is appreciated. The Department of Veterans Affairs will process all of the enrollments in order of date received. Please plan accordingly!

Why have I not been paid?

There are many reasons why you may not have received your benefits:

  • You may not have applied for your benefits with Veterans Affairs.
  • You may not have been certified with AUC VA official.
  • You may have recently been certified. If your paperwork was submitted recently, please allow a few days for the AUC official to process your certification.
  • After we submit your certification to Veterans Affairs (VA), it may take the Department of Veterans Affairs 6-8 weeks to process your paperwork.

What if I drop or withdraw from a class?

 If you drop or withdraw from a class, you need to notify AUC Certifying Official.

How does the VA pay benefits for parts of the term?

The VA pays benefits based on the term dates.

  • Payment begins on the first day of your class and ends on the official last day of your classes.

Does the VA pay benefits for breaks between terms?

Effective August 1, 2011, the VA will not pay benefits for breaks between semesters.

  • Example: Winter Break

How often do I need to submit a Certification Request with AUC certifying official?

You need to submit a Certification Request via email every semester if you want to receive your VA Benefits.

When should I turn in my certification?

Once you have finalized your enrollment schedule, contact Ania Rejman, Financial Aid, New York Office, t: 646-632-3738.